Lesson/Unit Plans

This first lesson plan is one that I used in my first practicum with a group of k-2 students. It was the 4th lesson that I taught in that practicum in a unit on collaborative storytelling. The students did a great job, had a lot of fun, and really impressed me with their ability to identify character, problem, and solution

The second lesson plan is one I wrote for out EDSO Social Studies Methods course. In it I explored the challenge of introducing the concepts of orange shirt day and residential schools to kindergarten aged children.

This unit plan covers part of the grade 3 social studies curriculum and give students an understanding of the concept of significance. We explore what it means for something to be truly significant to an individual or group and look inward to find something that is truly significant to ourselves. This unit incorporates indigenous content throughout and uses it to supplement and expand student learning. Over the unit students will be thinking of things that are significant to them, and then at the end of the unit they will share with their peers what that is and why it is so meaningful to them. This unit won’t just teach students about the concept of significance, it will teach them to recognize the things that are significant in their lives and appreciate them more than ever before. Throughout the unit plan we will work not only on our social studies competencies but also work on several facets of the grade 3 English language arts curriculum as we explore language, story, and first peoples oral traditions.